Tax Preparation Checklist

A copy of last year’s tax return for you and your spouse will be helpful.
Extension copy,  tax paid with the extension.
Personal information:

  • Social Security numbers and dates of birth for you, your spouse, your dependents.

-W-2 forms for you and your spouse
-1099-MISC forms for you and your spouse (for any independent contractor work)
-1099-G forms for unemployment income, or state or local tax refunds
-SSA-1099 for Social Security benefits received
-1099-R, Form 8606 for payments/distributions from IRAs or retirement plans
-1099-INT, -DIV, -B, or K-1s for investment or interest income
-1099-S forms for income from sale of a property
Other income, as: jury duty, gambling winnings, Medical Savings Account, scholarships, etc.
Bank account number and routing number, if depositing your refund directly into your account
Alimony received (temporary suspended)
Business or farming income  (see Business check list Business Tax Checklist – Small Business Tax Tools Llc (
Rental  income and expenses: profit/loss statement, suspended loss information.
Depreciation schedule.
State and local income taxes paid
Real estate taxes paid
-Prior year installment sale information - Forms 6252, principal and interest collected during the
year, SSN and address for payer
-1099-C forms for cancellation of debt
Records/amounts of other miscellaneous tax deductions: union dues; unreimbursed employee
expenses (uniforms, supplies, seminars, continuing education, publications, travel, etc.)(temporary suspended)
-Personal property taxes
-Vehicle license fees based on value of vehicle
-Estimated tax payments made during the year .
-Prior-year refund applied to current year and/or any amount paid with an extension to file
-Foreign bank account information: location, name of bank, account number, peak value of
account during the year.
-Foreign income
-Form 1098-E for student loan interest paid (or loan statements for student loans)
-Form 1098-T for tuition paid (or receipts/canceled checks for tuition paid for post-high school)
For teachers: Canceled checks or receipts for expenses paid for classroom supplies, etc.
-Records of IRA contributions made during the year
-HSA contribution and distribution
-Receipts for any qualifying energy-efficient home improvements (solar, windows, etc.)
-Records of Medical Savings Account (MSA) contributions
-Self-employed health insurance payment records
-Records of moving expenses (temporary suspended)
-Alimony paid (temporary suspended)
-Keogh, SEP, SIMPLE, and other self-employed pension plans
Child care costs: provider’s name, address, tax ID, and amount paid
Education costs: Form 1098-T, education expenses
Adoption costs: SSN of child; records of legal, medical and transportation costs
Forms 1098: Mortgage interest, private mortgage insurance (PMI), and points you paid
Investment interest expenses
Charitable donations: cash amounts, official charity receipts, canceled checks; value of donated property; miles driven and out-of-pocket expenses
Medical and dental expense records, medical miles, parking
Casualty and theft losses: amount of damage, insurance reimbursements

You cannot copy content of this page